Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Yesterday was a rest day for running and my god did I need it. My recovering run on Sunday (4 miles) was painful and this morning’s six miler still hurt.

I didn’t run yesterday, but I did lift weights with my friend J who is huge, and super into lifting. It was a good education in how to actually work the machines. Once Hartford is over, I hope to add regular weight training to my off season base building. I will post here my routine once I get one together.

Today's weight: 188. This is the first week in forever that I have consistently been under 190.

Today's run: 6 miles in 65 minutes (my chest hurt like hell from the bench presses I did last night. That effected my ability to run this morning and is something I should keep in mind in planning my runs and lifting routines in the future).

3 Comments:

Blogger Iron Pol said...

I've just been be-bopping through a few of your entries. Here are a few hints from a moderately experienced marathoner (doing 4th in a few weeks) and less experienced triathlete.

First, take easy or rest days if they're warranted. Don't get all sloth-like on us, but rest days are better than injuries.

Second, keep at the triathlon training and the weight will fall into place. I lost 20 pounds over three years of marathoning. I lost another 25 in the past 6 months of serious triathlon training (from 215 to 195 and 195 to 170).

If you balance serious training with an improving diet, the occassional pizza and beer night won't be too significant (as long as it's OCCASSIONAL).

1:27 PM  
Blogger The Amateur said...

thanks for the tips, i love my rest days, i won't be giving those up, or the pizza and beer (and least not altogether!)

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree about keeping the occasional pizza and beer, but I have to say, in my experience, it needs to be really really occasional for me to be able to get truly lean. My body builds muscle very very easily, but it also likes to hang on to its fat, so even at the height of my training, I do need to take my diet seriously. The thing that works for me best has always been very frequent and very small meals throughout the day. I follow the general rules outlined in the Zone during the off-season and add more carbs and a little bit more fat when I'm training for runs. It has gotten me in the best shape of my life. I recently started this in earnest along with the very gentle (not training-type intensity) running, cycling and swimming that I'm doing and I've lost seven pounds over the last three weeks. -Erin

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

fatfighterblogs.com - I fight fat!