Wednesday, February 27, 2008

me and crossfit

So I went to the local crossfit affiliate here in D.C. this Saturday to take part in their “cindy” challenge.

I could talk all day about how amazing my first experience at an actual crossfit gym was, but I’ll keep it as brief as possible. We did “Cindy” (5xpull-ups, 10xpush ups, 15xsquats; how many rounds can you do in 20 minutes).

I did eleven rounds (in which I did cheating jumping pull-ups for the second half of the rounds). That put me at the bottom of the class. There was only one dude who did worse than I did. The guy with the highest total hit 28 rounds. He was also an ex-army security consultant who was probably the most physically fit person I have ever spoken to. If he had told me he was a ninja, I would not have been shocked.

I have never worked harder in any workout. There is something about the group dynamic, with your name up on a wall, and people walking around with video cameras, recording you, that just makes you push harder than you are ever going to push on your own. I hesitate to say it was a competitive environment. People were very encouraging, actually. But I wanted to push myself hard, and I did. When the twenty minutes were over, I laid on the sweat stained floor shaking for ten minutes.

Cementing my love for this type of exercise environment, after the work-out, we all went out for beers. The conversation was like nothing I have on a regular basis. It was all about video games, ninja warrior, parkour and crossfit. I loved it, and I’ll be going back on the regular, and posting about the whole phenomenon a lot around here (good help you).

So, going forward, I am going to be going to primal fitness at least once a week, and doing the crossfit WODs combined with some rosstraining boxing workouts on the other days of the week.

In that regard, I did the proposed crossfit workout yesterday, it looked like this:
Warm Up:
3x
10x OHSQ, situps, pull ups (x5), back extensions, dips
then:
Shoulder press 1-1-1-1-1 reps
Push press 3-3-3-3-3 reps
Push Jerk 5-5-5-5-5 reps

I played with the weight here, going up as high as 115, and as low as 95. My shoulders are still wrecked from this weekend, so this was pretty painful

Then:
3x3 minute rounds of rope with one minute break in between
3x3 minute heavy bag rounds with one minute break in between
the heavy bag rounds were brutal. I didn’t hit the bag nearly as hard, or as often, as I wanted to, but by this time, I was just dead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

fatfighterblogs.com - I fight fat!